[Nottingham] Roll up, roll up, for what's next at NLUG...

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:33:31 UTC 2012

On 17/05/12 23:13, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> Well Carolyn just phoned - she asks "is their any women linux users?" I said I dunno - I
> think if there were some women to chat too ...................

My S.O. (Eva) is a some-time GNU/Linux user.  Some of the lab equipment
is driven by it and she uses the desktop at home.  Her comment when
buying a new laptop was "I don't care what it is, so long as it does not
run f***ing Windows!".  She joined the Cult of Jobs (the discount and
bolt-on offers she could get was, frankly, ridiculous; I nearly bought one!)

She normally comes along to the socials and has even turned up at the
odd meet.  She was away at a conference this week.

The male bias in IT (esp. in LUGs) is something that comes up pretty
regularly on message boards and podcasts.  We suffer from it in martial
arts as well, although not as badly.  I think that if there is a clutch
of men doing "a thing" then women feel excluded; even if the men in
question aren't being discriminatory.

Carolyn shouldn't feel too bad, I only understand about half of what is
said....

J.