[Nottingham] Roll up, roll up, for what's next at NLUG...

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:02:56 UTC 2012

On 18 May 2012 09:33, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/05/12 23:13, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> > Well Carolyn just phoned - she asks "is their any women linux users?" I
> said I dunno - I
> > think if there were some women to chat too ...................
>
> The male bias in IT (esp. in LUGs) is something that comes up pretty
> regularly on message boards and podcasts.  We suffer from it in martial
> arts as well, although not as badly.  I think that if there is a clutch
> of men doing "a thing" then women feel excluded; even if the men in
> question aren't being discriminatory.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxChix

But there seems to have been nothing new on their website since 2007.  It
may be that there is more going on, and that they've just not realised that
a website needs regular care an d attention if it's not going to imply
the project has died.   Most of the mailings lists are restricted, so I
can't check whether they are currenlty active.

David Aldred