[Nottingham] Microsoft's restricted boot

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Fri May 18 09:42:17 UTC 2012

Mornin TJ,

Well we know what will happen - Microsoft will sign some pretty tight licensing agreements
with hardware manufacturers to produce computers that will only run a Microsoft O/S.

If they did this from China - there's bugger all anyone can do about it. I have an old HP
Pavilion here - I was given it as a freebie - it was an ex-business user laptop running
Vista. When the owner tried upgrading to XP the laptop refused to load and boot. He took the
machine to a computer store - they could not install XP. I deleted the MBR and installed Linux.

Microsoft lock users in with licenses - now they seem to want to add locking ppeople in by
preventing them from installing another O/S.

I have a very simple view of Microsoft - they are a criminal-based organisation. As such in
principle - ethics - good practice - wipe their Microsoft O/S off your hard disk! :)

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html