[Nottingham] gpg2

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sat May 19 15:44:57 UTC 2012

On 19/05/12 14:43, Martin wrote:
> On 19/05/12 08:36, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
>> I installed gpg2 - which is incompatible with enigmail causing it to freeze and
>> malfunction. I also discovered that gpg2 is unable to digitally sign then encrypt to
>> a recipients public key at the same time - and that gpg2 is unable to recognise
>> specific gpg2 commands in your *.conf file.
>
>> Do not think therefore that upgrading to gpg2 is a good idea - another poster on
>> another mailing list running Fedora-16 64 bit stated that enigmail failed to
>> "initialise" with gpg2 and was unable to resolve the fact that they could neither
>> sign or encrypt. I had the same problems with Fedora-16 32 bit.
>
>> Stick  with gpg 1.4.11 - its stable and works!
>
> That looks to be distro dependant...
>
> On Mandriva, I have:
>
> $ gpg --version gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10 Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is
> free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the
> extent permitted by law.
>
> Home: ~/.gnupg Supported algorithms: Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA Cipher:
> 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192,
> CAMELLIA256 Hash: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224 Compression:
> Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2
>

> AND also:
>
> $ gpg2 --version gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.15 libgcrypt 1.4.5 Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software
> Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and
> redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Home: ~/.gnupg Supported algorithms: Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA Cipher: 3DES, CAST5,
> BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256 Hash:
> MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SHA224 Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP,
> ZLIB, BZIP2
>

> And I've not noticed any clash so far...
>
> Enigmail appears to be using gpg2:
>

> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- Charset: UTF-8 Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux) Comment:
> Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>

> So that's an ok for Mandriva.
>
> Shame the Mandriva distro is only just now slowly emerging from uncertain times to
> hopefully make a comeback. Meanwhile, the Mageia fork looks to be going good and
> strong:
>
> http://www.mageia.org/en/
>

> Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin,

People that have both versions on their system seem to have fewer problems. Both are
running and depending on the preferences set in your GUI one or the other is called.
Perhaps gpg2 needs to have gpg 1.4.11 running? Maybe gpg2 is just an extension of gpg 1.4.11?

I dunno :)

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com