[Nottingham] getting vpnc working - need dh7

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Sun May 20 19:30:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have made progress in trying to sort out using vpnc on my Linux system
instead of Nortel Contivity on Windows for accessing employer's VPN.

By using wireshark on both the Windows connection and the Linux attempt, I
have found that the link needs a group description of EC2N. The vpnc is only
giving options of dh1 or dh5.

I have looked in the code and seen that EC2N is associated with dh7, but that
there is only a comment saying the code is missing. I do not know whether this
is because it was not agreed by the ISAKMP working party, or if it is
classified and therefore not released or if simply nobody has yet written this
code.

Anyone have suggestions as to where I might look next? My only alternative at
the moment is using Oracle Virtual Box to run Vista (yuk) and have that make
the connection to the company VPN.

Regards,
Godfrey