[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon May 21 15:38:58 UTC 2012

On 21/05/12 16:20, Louise Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m a fairly intermittent linux user so apologies if my question has an
> obvious answer!  I’ve just had a new dual-boot computer with Ubuntu
> 11.10 installed.  I’m unable to download any software or updates.  At
> first I couldn’t get any websites to load in Firefox but have now set it
> to auto-detect proxy settings and that’s now working fine.  Is the
> download problem also likely to be a proxy settings issue?  I did a
> search and found a (quite old) blog which said to set the proxy to
> automatic with the URL set to http://wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk/proxy.pac
> but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.  Any help with this would be
> much appreciated – IT support logged my call nearly a week ago and I’ve
> heard nothing from them since L

Yep... On all counts :-)

You need to go through the Uni proxy connection... The "automatic"
settings may well work for Firebird, but you'll need to directly tell
various other parts of Ubuntu and possibly various applications to use
the proxy...

Stefne is the best person to ask... She'll be onsite somewhere.

Meanwhile, you could try this link:

http://askubuntu.com/a/82168

and the following answers.

If that doesn't make any sense, then please ask again!

Good luck,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg