[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 22 12:41:41 UTC 2012

On 22/05/12 13:26, ForkBombFluf wrote:
> Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late to the party, but just got back to work
> this morning, after being on hols in Berlin--

Hey Stef, good you're around. Hope you had fun :-)

> Upgrading in Linux shouldn't harm or rearrange anything in your
> bootloader (although the same can't always be said for Windows
> installations!) so moving to a newer long term support version should be
> good.  I think Barry's just advised a fresh install rather than an in
> place upgrade though, and I have to admit I'm curious what sort of
> issues he's encountered with upgrading.

As in, if you must install Windows, install it first as in the Windows
world, "nothing else exists"...

The only upgrade problems I've seen is when you run out of disk space
during the upgrade, or when you've installed exotica from the Ubuntu
Multiverse that is then not supported in the next version...

> The only distro that is remotely "standard" in IS terms in the
> University is CentOS, and that's mostly because Dave Parkin (the IS
> support person in Maths and Physics) has put the most effort into

I like the PXE boot. Nice touch and good effort.

Mmmm... Must get Skeptical some time ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg