[Nottingham] Introduction/DEEMail

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 22 13:02:14 UTC 2012

Mike,

On 21/05/12 22:10, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> Hello from Beeston,
>
> I just signed up to this list. I've been on here before, but not for
> several years. I was skipping back through the list archives and it
> looks like I missed out on some interesting meet ups/discussions
> regarding something called "DEEMail" over the past couple of months. I
> wonder, are there any slides or notes online from the last meeting about
> this? I'd love to learn more about it.

Welcome on the mailist. Easiest is to meet up to add to the discussion
over beer or food or whatever.

The "DEEMail" is a design in progress. My main headache with it is for
how to avoid abuse and how to do so in some way a little more clever
than just throttling the uploads/downloads... At the moment it could be
swamped with anti-socials dumping their backups on it!

> I released an application under the GNU GPL last year for using GnuPG to
> automatically encrypt unencrypted incoming email as it arrives. Some of
> you might be interested in reading about it on my blog? If so, check out
> https://grepular.com/Automatically_Encrypting_all_Incoming_Email

Interesting and a good idea. The way things are going, that is getting
to be ever more likely necessary... :-(

The "DEEMail" goes a step further in that the entire email is encrypted,
including all the headers. And yes, yet the mail is still deliverable... :-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg