[Nottingham] Hot Pi?

Rory Holland rory at linux.com
Tue May 22 13:43:49 UTC 2012

I'm sending this to the list at large as well, in case they're interested
in what can be done with a Pi:
---------

Perhaps. I've been meaning to set it up as a home server to perform the
following functions:

   - A caching DNS server for faster DNS lookups on the LAN
   - A DHCP server
   - Automatically back up all available files from the machines on the
   LAN, without the client requesting it ("pull backups")
   - BitTorrent server for 24/7 seeding without the massive power
   consumption of leaving a PC on
   - Something to SSH into so I can get to other machines on my LAN, and
   turn them on with wake-on-LAN
   - A small web server to share files quickly with friends
   - A NAS device so my girlfriend and I can share music and video
   libraries without duplication

And all the while it's going to be plugged into my TV running media centre
software so I can sit back and play my HD videos on the big screen.

The device is more than powerful enough to do all this. The Debian image is
nice and easy to use as well (it's just Debian, and so has all the packages
that come with the name)