[Nottingham] Is Deep Packet Inspection the death of smtp and http?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:13:17 UTC 2012

On 22/05/12 14:51, Dan Caseley wrote:
> I make a trade with Google with every day - my search history, browsing
> history, location data, mail contents, etc., etc.,
I use DuckDuckGo as the first port of call for search these days.  I
find it is really rather good.
I do use GMail, that is something that is going to have to change.

> I don't have any problem with DPI if it's to my benefit (and I wouldn't
> call "keeping your bills low by reselling your data" a benefit), and if
> I have alternatives if I change my mind later.
I have no real issue with DPI when there is good reason e.g. some tech
trying to work out why one system is playing up or whatever.  When at
the bank I had a frightening level of access to customer and staff
information but I was more concerned with hammering the COBOL back in
submission than anything evil.

> Am I mad to worry that I'm not worried enough about privacy?
It's very easy to go all tin-foil hat, and there's nothing really wrong
with giving up your privacy (it's a free world) and often time there is
a trade-off.  So long as you have educated yourself enough to know
exactly what you are giving up, why and are happy with the
return....it's your life.

Look at the people who got upset at Facebook using "their" picture or
"their" messages to promote Facebook.  These people clearly did not read
the terms and conditions.  They gave up their privacy without
understanding the cost.

J.