[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:39:45 UTC 2012

On 24 May 2012 16:14, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com> wrote:

> I am quite surprised that there is no Linux support. That all your IT
> staff are Microsoft
> Engineers - how on earth did they get their degrees? As you point out the
> majority of
> science departments need Linux - space research to archaeology - what
> happens when these
> departments have a "problem?" I suspect that all their staff have an IT
> Degree and not one
> given to them by Microsoft!

There is, of course, a significant amount of *Unix* use at the University,
and a lot of web-delivered applications are PHP based and run on *Unix*
servers.  What there isn't is support for the widespread use of *Linux* as
a primary desktop system, although last time I looked the IS website did
list CentOS as formally supported.    Many of the core systems (email etc)
are Windows based, so the assumption is that to use the core services you
tend to use Windows (in a virtual environment or otherwise).

Though some of that assumption is having to start to break down as students
increasingly want to use iOS, Android and BBOS devices to talk to
University systems.   The problem for any institution is deciding what
'support' means -  paying for expertise to support Windows, MAcs, all
flavours of Linux, BBOS, Android etc etc gets rather costly.

David