[Nottingham] Refreshingly fresh: Cookies on The Register

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat May 26 01:12:25 UTC 2012

In true Register forthright style:

Cookies on The Register
The cookies we set and why

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Profile/cookies/

#####
When someone visits www.theregister.co.uk / www.reghardware.com /
www.channelregister.co.uk we collect standard internet log information
and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things...

Cookies from our suppliers

We use Google DoubleClick to serve adverts across our sites and have no
direct control of the cookies it sets. ...

Some of our advertisers use other Ad Servers which may set cookies too.
Unfortunately, we can't directly control their cookies either. ...

Some advertisers try to behaviourally target you using retargeting
cookies across sites – that's when you notice adverts stalking you
across lots of different sites. We forbid this behaviour in the terms
and conditions of any advertising contracts we enter into. But you
should be aware of how to manage this yourself anyway. ...
#####

Is this a sign of more open stalking across the internet?

Minority Report anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_Report_%28film%29

(... the question of free will vs determinism. It examines whether free
will can exist if the future is set and known in advance. Other themes
include the role of preventive government in protecting its citizenry,
the role of media in a future state where electronic advancements make
its presence nearly boundless...)

... And that is just for mere /cookies/ ?!

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg