[Nottingham] For info Fedora 17 out today

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 30 11:55:02 UTC 2012

On 30/05/12 10:14, Mike Martin wrote:
[---]
> TBH I can see both sides, but really the distinction between /usr/bins
> and bins  gets arbitrary on occasion.
>
> Over time so much has been loaded into /usr that used to be elsewhere.
>
> I think the reason for the "old" system was that /usr was not
> neccesarily mounted initially and was commonly on a seperate
> partition/network drive, so bin/sbin was for programs that were needed
> to boot
>
> May be wrong though

That's exactly so, and also why the home directory for "root" is
'special' and is on the filesystem root rather than in /home as for
other users.

The only time I've had to worry about the sequence of separate mounts is
for diskless systems I've put together, and for my AcerOne netbook where
/parts/ of /usr are on a memory card rather than the small SSD.

SSDs are quickly getting big enough and cheap enough to not worry or
waste time with contrived configs.

And then there is the RasPi for getting highly contrived ;-)

> Anyway for 90+% of users they aren't going to see a difference

Only 90%?... I'd put that nearer 99.99%.

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg