[Nottingham] [Social] *TODAY* Wednesday 30/05/2012: Beeston Blue Moon Beers

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 31 22:57:30 UTC 2012

On 30/05/12 15:51, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
>> *TODAY* Wednesday 30/05/2012:
>>
>> Beeston Blue Moon Beers
>> http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/event/beeston-blue-moon-beers-5
>
> For checking/discussion, I've just posted up the proposed talks/socials
> list that I have so far for the next few months:
>
> http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/events/upcoming
>
> All rough and ready... Comments welcomed before I/others tidy it up.

That was a good session. I hope everyone found us ok eventually!

Sorry for the lack of Linux mags and no visible netbooks, ePads,
laptops, smart-devices or whatever... I was wearing a /very obviously/
geekie black "element14 - RasPi" t-shirt that hopefully gave enough
identification!

All was forgotten for the sake of drooling over a RasPi board. First
comments were for how small it is. Next were whether it really will
revolutionise UK school IT education.

And then we had soon gathered and were lost in various discussions and beer.

We made promising infiltration of unsuspecting groups on two other
tables who amazingly had heard of the RasPi. Our own grouping spilled
over onto a second table and soon went into parallel discussions.

David missed an excellent opportunity to join in discussion with a real
live in-the-person Ubuntu developer about the desktop GUI and for how
people work and use displays.

On another vector, some of our group are doing a lot of physical commute
and I can't help wonder if internet connectivity could take more of the
strain to reduce the hours wasted in/on cars, buses and trains.
Especially so for IT and development work. Is the real problem that of
being 'seen' to be there, regardless of what the work is?

And lots more, including some very fine beer.

Good to see some new faces amongst the established group. Welcome along.

And the Dragon Capsule is on its way back down to Earth. Here's wishing
it a safe splashdown.

Until the next Blue Moon!

RasPi:
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/2012/05/a-raspberry-pi-gone-postal/3170

IT:	Information Technology

GUI:	Graphical User Interface

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7