[Nottingham] [Misc, OT, Humour] News Sensation! Linus Reads Discworld!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 00:12:29 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 21:53, Andy Smith wrote:
> The word "widdershins" predates Discworld by quite a long way btw,
> although you're probably right to guess that Linus heard of it first
> from there, as did I. :)

Well I never...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins

I'm from that area and hadn't heard of that before. Bit of a b*****r if
you're in the southern hemisphere and sun religious!

It amazes me just where Terry Pratchett gets/got his wide ranging
insights from! His series that include the ever developing Hex fit
beautifully with hilarious incredible detail for those that know
anything of the academic/development history of computing. There's some
fun philosophical angles and tangents thrown in there also. Even if you
don't know, it's still fun reading. For what I know of the subject, I
was on occasion left rolling on the floor laughing - and that's with no
beer needed!!

Living through the 8-bit micro era helps also ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg