[Nottingham] emails containing spaces

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 17:53:30 UTC 2012

On 16/10/12 15:01, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> On 16/10/12 14:50, T.J long thing wrote:
>
>> it's come to my attention that it may be possible to have spaces in
>> an email address providing it's not part of the domain section.
>> Also a possibility they can be case sensitive has anyone else come
>> across this? can any one confirm these or is it just rumor?
>
> Email addresses are case sensitive. "mike at example.com" and
> "Mike at example.com" are different email addresses. It just so happens
> that most implementations treat them the same. There's no reason why
> that has to be the case though.
>
> The specification allows all sorts of insane local parts in email
> addresses. Some good examples:
>
> !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{}|~@example.org
> "()<>[]:,;@\\\"!#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{}| ~  ? ^_`{}|~.a"@example.org
>
> Taken from:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Valid_email_addresses

Just for the sake of world practice rather than slavishly following an
RFC (or even fixing/updating the RFC to match world expectations):

postfix by default munges everything to lower case so as to be 'case
insensitive'. You can still do 'special' regex lookups to be case
sensitive if you really want to...

I always ensure all email addresses are lower case in the first place to
avoid silliness...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg