[Nottingham] emails containing spaces

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu Oct 18 05:53:21 UTC 2012

Hi TJ,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 07:38:13PM +0100, TJ wrote:
> thanks for the answers guy's just means i'll have to tell our marketing
> that if the e-mail contains spaces it's probably wrong ;P

It has almost certainly been stored/parsed incorrectly.

Whilst spaces are valid in the left hand side ("local part") of an
email address if properly quoted, I think you would struggle to
find a single real web site that supported that. So, the person
would have a valid but practically useless email address. They'd
never be able to sign up for any web-based service and would quickly
give up using such an address.

There is an argument that you should support such a valid email
address, but in this specific case the chances of the address being
correct are so small that I think you'd be better off considering it
incorrect.

At the very least have a look to see how such addresses managed to
end up in your database, as the were almost certainly not entered
with spaces in them by the user.

Cheers,
Andy