[Nottingham] Google Gets Umbrella Patent For Cloud Operating Systems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 09:30:31 UTC 2012

On 04/09/12 09:00, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Thinking of X etc....I wonder is Apple patented network-y architecture?
> (From 1999) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIF2496Br0

That is one very slick carefully scripted and well rehearsed
presentation. The Marketing push buzzword density is very high for a lot
of that. Phew! Perhaps it does pay to be a good evangelical actor? :-(

And ofcourse, Mainframe architecture of the 1960's and 1970's pre-dates
all this 'cloud' stuff and offered pretty much the same features but
instead over 'local' links that could still span the world before the
internet offered such connectivity. OK, so the VT100-era terminals
didn't quite have the fancy displays of all this PC stuff, but you still
took it for granted that you could logon via any terminal anywhere in
whatever academia/company and you magically had all your usual files,
directories, and applications available regardless of where you were
physically sitting...

So... We now have very similar functionality except that a general
purpose internet is being used instead of a dedicated communications
tree for connecting the terminals (or smart-device terminal apps) to a
central CPU system 'cloud'. What's new if anything?!

How many ways can you skin a rabbit in the legal world?...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg