[Nottingham] scp on the go slow?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:06:06 UTC 2013

On 05/02/13 10:23, Martin wrote:
> Sounds like write amplification slowdown...
Something is deffo going wonky - the SAMBA copy went the same way and I
also noticed the PC became dog-slow.
The USB is also NTFS formatted for compatibility, which might not be
helping matters.

> To test your network, scp to dest.host:/dev/null to see if the speed
> stays up or not.
This is chugged along quite happily at around 26MB/s, which is pretty
much what I would expect.

Curiously, using Dolphin to do the copy into my home folder ran at
9MiB/s, but an scp into home was at 26MB/s.  Which I find odd as I would
have expected a straight SAMBA copy to be faster than scp.

Be interesting to see what happens when I copy from home to the USB.

--
Jason Irwin