[Nottingham] Buying advice sought

Aritra Dalal aritra.dalal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:38:19 UTC 2013

It really comes down to how much you want/need and are ready to spend, they
can cost anywhere between 350 (for a decent computer) to 1000+

Nowadays, hard drives are pretty cheap (1 TB for around £50-£60), although
SSD ones are far better, and some would say the latter are prohibitively
expensive for large storage capacities (I'm assuming you'd require large
storage for the audio files).

If you're going all out, and getting a new monitor, you'd be looking at
anywhere between £80 to £200 or more, depending on the quality, size,
resolution, etc.

The most expensive bits of this would be the CPU and GPU costs. A second
generation i7 would cost northwards of 200 pounds, while an i5 1st
generation would cost upwards of £120. If I'm not wrong, you can get
motherboards with integrated graphics card (if you don't need anything
fancy), or go get gaming/CAD level GPUs, which would cost well above £200 a
pop.

*Aritra Dalal M.Eng.*