[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* Wednesday 06/02/2013: Firewalls and Network Routing Lowdown

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 12:26:59 UTC 2013

On 07/02/13 09:08, Jason Irwin wrote:
> A timely piece of news related to the above: Packets of DEATH!
> (da da da DUMMMMMMM!)
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/06/packet_of_death_intel_ethernet/

Rather a spooky coincidence to our comments last night...

#119 Hard hangs with 82574L NICs
http://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/119/?page=3

The little ssh that (sometimes) couldn't
http://mina.naguib.ca/blog/2012/10/22/the-little-ssh-that-sometimes-couldnt.html

Those go far beyond the "Wake-on-LAN" fun! Darn buggy firmware silliness
and proprietary secrecy.

The ssh example shows up a TCP failing in that the protocol expects to
get a good checksum eventually for a packet resend. Is there no timeout
for repeated failed checksums?...

Good find!

And a good evening despite the triple booking, TV football noise, and no
food! Just as well we moved over into the warmth and food and no TV
football next door :-)

Good to see the old/new faces. Good discussions, and good to hear BSD
and Solaris mentioned, even if the firewalling talk got a little
squeezed off to the end. Sorry the UPnP stuff was squeezed out.

Aside: I always disable UPnP 'cos I like to know and understand what is
happening... There's no need for that to go out onto the internet...

UPnP scan shows 50 million network devices open to packet attack
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/29/hdmoore_upnp_flaw_rapid7/

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg