[Nottingham] Do VoIP phones need to be directly attached to a router?

James Green jkg at earth.li
Wed Jul 10 21:58:03 UTC 2013

On 10 July 2013 22:50, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As the subject says really.  Or can they be attached via a switch to the
> router?
>
> Eva has been told that her phone *must* be directly connected to the
> router, but I really can't think why and am wondering if I am missing
> something.

It might be a lack of imagination on my part, but I can't imagine a
(likely) reason. Usually "must be connected directly to the router" means
"we're not troubleshooting all your intermediate network equipment, so if
it ain't working, you'd best have tried it directly connected to the
router".

Certainly at my old workplace, we had IP phones all over the shop, running
off a variety of switches (some PoE, some not) and that was never a
problem... So, there's nothing fundamental about the technology!

Good luck,

James