[Nottingham] KDE weirdness

stripes stripes at roppa.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 22:27:53 UTC 2013

Dear Group,

I am running Debian testing on AMD64. Been away for a few months, just ran
the updates. It updated about 500 packages. Rebooted and I am unable to get
to a KDE graphic session. Log in from the command line and startx pops up a
tiny graphical window with the message "call to lnusertemp failed, temp dir
full ? check your installation". The only thing that can be done from there
is click OK and it drops me back to the command line.

df -h shows that there is plenty of space.

Renaming
/var/tmp/kdecache-*
/tmp/kde-*
/tmp/socket-*
/root/.kde/*-*
/home/*/.kde/*-*

So there are no kde configurations doesn't seem to do anything but I have
found that if I use xinit instead of startx I get a tiny about 1/9 of the
screen xterm and in that I can run firefox. When I start firefox in this it
increases to about a quarter of the screen. The rest of the screen is just
plain black.

Mostly trying to start graphical programs this way gives*

**symbol lookup error*: /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4

Any ideas on what has happened and just as importantly how to fix it?

Stripes