[Nottingham] [Non-Linux] VPN contention?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 13:17:27 UTC 2013

On 26/07/13 13:01, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Is there such a thing?  Or some kind of limitation on the number of
> simultaneous VPN connections on a single PC (Windows)?
Yes.

> Or could my router/VirginMedia be refusing to allow more than 2 VPN
> connections?
Possibly depending on the number of connections the modem-router has
recently 'seen'...

> There is something very odd going on with the g/f's work lappy here.
>
> I don't think the issue is at my end, but not sure.

For most 'domestic' modem-routers, they are severely limited to how many
NAT entries they keep. I've bombed my Superhub at round about 30
attempted simultaneous connect. Putting it into modem-only mode and I've
never noticed any simultaneous connection limits since.

You can bomb that limit on merely trying to look at a single web page!
(OK, so my example is a MRTG web page with quite a few charts on it...)

That's where a dd-wrt device or any linux setup for gateway duty is over
a 1000 times better!

(Linux iptables = 32k simultaneous connections? Or has that limit long
ago been lifted? Or is the 32k a NAT limit due to the 64k range
connection port numbers range?)

After whatever simultaneous connections limit, your next bottleneck is
for whatever bandwidth latency you suffer on your restricted bandwidth
uplink to avoid a connection timing out... "tc" can help there to keep
the ack packets sneaking through even when everything is choked.

Or are you just suffering a flaky WiFi in the heat?!

Good luck,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg