[Nottingham] HP are doing their ?100 cashback offer again

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Mon Jun 10 10:08:04 UTC 2013

* on the Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 07:45:37AM +0100, Dan Caseley wrote:

> Thanks for the link! With the four drives filled, I imagine this would
> consume around the 44W quoted for the Synology DS412+.
>
> I've been keen to get a 4-bay NAS for a while, but wanted to keep the ssh,
> wol, sftp, wget, torrent, CrashPlan and other services that I've been used
> to with my Mint 12 desktop. The Synology offers most, if not all of this.
>
> I hear good things about the likes of FreeNAS, but does anyone have any
> first hand experience of the features and stability?

FWIW, I have one of these HP Proliant Microservers in the TV cabinet in my
living room, running Debian Wheezy. It's my router, NAT translator, firewall,
Wifi access point and also handles VLAN trunking. I had to buy a separate
PCIe Wifi card (with managed mode support) in order to use it as a Wifi
access point. I stuck a PCIe serial card in the other PCIe slot so that I
could connect it up to my switch in order to manage it.

DHCPD        - For providing IPs to the rest of the network
Hostapd      - For providing wifi access to the network.
NTPD         - For providing time to the rest of the network.
Bind         - Authoratitive nameserver. My "public" authoritative nameserver
               slaves off this over a VPN so that my DNSSEC keys can live
               on my own local trusted hardware only.
Unbound      - Caching recursive resolver with DNSSEC support, supplying
               secure DNS to the rest of the network.
MIT Kerberos - Centralised authentication. Currently using both password and
               certificates. I intend to get this working with smartcards soon
SaslAuthd    - For providing authentication to clients that can't handle
               Kerberos
OpenLDAP     - Centralised database of users and also my addressbook.
Exim4        - SMTP
Dovecot      - IMAP
Tor          - So any machine on my network can access Tor hidden services
               without having to install Tor on each machine.
Nginx        - Web server
Samba        - For accessing file store
NFS          - For accessing file store. Mostly for mounting on my HTPCs.
MariaDB      - Backwards compatible fork of MySQL
Bitlbee      - IRC gateway to various chat networks
KVM          - I have a VM running on top of KVM that has all of it's network
               traffic completely sandboxed behind Tor. I don't use this for
               much, but it's nice to have it available.
IRSSI Proxy  - An IRC proxy that I use like a bouncer.
RADVD        - I have an IPv6 tunnel to Hurricane Electric. They allocate
               free /64's. RADVD advertises this /64 to my entire network
               meaning that any machine on my network can grab its own
               IPv6 address and run in dual stack IPv4+IPv6 mode. Even my
               Android phone does this transparently.
Deluge       - Bittorrent client.
OpenVPN      - VPNs to several locations. Transparently routes traffic from
               the rest of my network over these VPNs as needed.
Palantir     - So I can access the USB webcam that I have plugged in, remotely
Duplicity    - Incremental encrypted backups of my remote Linode VPS daily, and
               my Debian laptop hourly. It also backs it's self up nightly to
               an external USB drive.
AFPD         - So GF's Mac can use it for TimeMachine backups
Temp graphs  - I also have a USB thermometer plugged in so I can graph the
               temperature of my living room using RRD.
Nginx        - Web server - Access to my file store, temperature graphs,
               phpldapadmin, webcam and other random stuff.

I only have two 1TB disks in there at the moment, leaving space for two more. I
have them in a RAID1 array for redundancy, and use full disk encryption. I have
a tiny 8GB USB stick plugged into the internal USB slot directly on the mother
board which contains my boot partition and loader.

It handles all of this without breaking a sweat and without generating much
noise or heat. I'm very pleased with this hardware.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F