[Nottingham] Limiting process physical memory - how?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 14:47:08 UTC 2013

Folks,

A Geekie one...

I've a humongous process that is gobbling up all physical memory to
bring this machine to a crawl. There's more than enough virtual memory
for it but:

How do I limit how much physical memory it grabs so as not to freeze out
everything else?

How can I limit the rate of memory swap so that the HDD isn't thrashed
to a crawl?

(I've done a "kill -s STOP pid" for the moment to temporarily halt it.
All is non-treacle again but how to stop it going to treacle again?)

Ideas?

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg