[Nottingham] badBIOS - hoax? Mistake? Or time to panic and flap about?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 13:51:07 UTC 2013

For this "Halloween" story, I think this debunks most of the BIOS angle
and the poltergeist-like leaps:

The badBIOS Analysis Is Wrong
http://www.rootwyrm.com/2013/11/the-badbios-analysis-is-wrong/

####
The fact is that everything I have read about #badBIOS is completely and
utterly wrong; from the supposed “escaping air gap” to well...
everything. And I should know. I’ve dealt with malicious BIOS and
firmware loads in the past...
####

That leaves USB insecurity, UEFI exploit funkiness, and a whole load of
paranoia and conspiracy and a fun Halloween fairytale...

And an awful lot of "viral" publicity ;-)

All good fun and a good reminder of a few exploits.

Enjoy the fireworks! :-)

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7