[Nottingham] Integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics

Matthew Tompsett matthewbpt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:30:05 UTC 2013

On 13 November 2013 17:05, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone any first-hand experience of this GPU?
>
> Received a laptop with this in an i5 3320M CPU rather than the discrete
> nvidia NVS 5400M I was expecting.
>
> I am just wondering how bad it's going to be as a GPU if I decide to
> keep the laptop after all.

Unless you are doing gaming, this GPU is actually pretty good out of the
box in my experience, and without any binary blolbs, which is a huge plus.
You may want to check if your laptop is one of those with hybrid graphics
though. These will dynamically switch between dicrete graphics (usually
Nvidia) and integrated Intel graphics, but it does not work out of the box
on Linux and falls back to only using integrated graphics, but there are
solutions to make it work. If it is one of these you'll probably find an
option in the BIOS to switch between GPUs.

Cheers
Matt