[Nottingham] Hibernate issues

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Mon Nov 25 13:49:06 UTC 2013

* on the Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 05:13:49PM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:

> And fixed. Not being able to resume from hibernate when using encrypted
> swap is apparently a known issue, I think it's down to /dev/random being
> used for the swap crypto. The easy answer is to stop using /dev/random and
> use a known passphrase. I followed this guide:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnableHibernateWithEncryptedSwap

Ah, that makes sense. FWIW, I stopped using swap partitions a couple of years
ago when I started using SSDs. Neither my laptop nor my desktop have a swap
partition; I just made sure I had more than enough RAM. 8GB in the laptop,
16GB in the desktop. I can't use hibernate because of this, but that doesn't
bother me.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F