[Nottingham] Dual Boot - Windows updates and Linux boot failures

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 21:56:50 UTC 2013

On 26 November 2013 17:44, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/11/13 17:32, David Aldred wrote:
> > If I close down Windows when it has started the update installation
> > process, then restart in Linux,, Linux fails to boot.
> Any errors shown?

There were errors, but by the time they stopped scrolling up the screen I
was only left with the end of a trace.  Is there any way to get at a boot
log from a failed boot?

> > Is this expected behaviour?  And how is the presence of an incomplete
> > Windows update stopping Linux booting in these circumstances?
> Quite possibly down to Windows flagging that it needs to reboot to
> complete update and this through GRUB2 off.
> But that's just a total guess on my part.

It was the sort of thing I was guessing too, but it implies an actual
recognition of some sort by Windows that Linux exists on the machine, which
is unusual!