[Nottingham] Email server hosting?

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Mon Sep 16 14:29:41 UTC 2013

* on the Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 02:20:56PM +0100, Martin wrote:

> Anyone have, or got any recommendations for, a minimal cost internet
> connected fixed-IP virtual server (or low cost real server) to host
> email on an IP address that can be locked down with SPF+DKIM?

I use, and recommend these guys:

https://www.digitalocean.com/

Their VPS are based on KVM. Their cheapest is $5/month and comes
with, 1TB of bandwidth, 512MB RAM, and 20GB of fast SSD disk. I
have a node in Amsterdam, but they also offer them in New York
and San Francisco (they're a US company). I personally have the
$10/month node which doubles my RAM, bandwidth and gives me some
more disk.

They have a nice web interface for creating new nodes, re-imaging
them, taking and restoring snapshots, managing backups, getting
console access, configuring reverse DNS and so on. They also have
a REST based API for managing nodes. And I've found their support
to be very quick to respond and helpful.

Only downsides that I've found are that they will only give you
a single static IPv4 address. You can't even pay for more. They
also haven't rolled out IPv6 yet, but they are currently working
on it and I'm expecting to see it within the next few months.
Until then I'm using a Hurricane Electric tunnel.

Oh, they also charge you only for the amount of time that your
node is up. So if you bring one up for 12 hours, you'll only
end up paying for that 12 hours, not for the full month.

They also have an affiliate program. If you're feeling generous
and sign up via the following URL, and end up spending at least
$10, I'll get some free credit :)

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=2529a7adf896

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F