[Nottingham] KSplice

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 09:52:54 UTC 2014

On 21/08/14 08:56, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Anyone used this?
>
> Free-to-use on many distros: https://www.ksplice.com/pricing

I like the:

"Rebooting is obsolete!"

However...

There has been something like that around for rather a long time now.

Myself, I've always shied away from it in that for updating the kernel,
you're usually updating other essential bits including such as glibc and
others and so a clean reboot is a very good test that everything still
works ok!

In any case, would you be doing live updates on any systems that are
considered "critical" or otherwise supporting "live" use?

So yes, carefree-update-away and never reboot until that fateful time
when you have to reboot for whatever reason... Usually in a panic!

So geekie good fun but also very good for giving the jitters for anyone
looking after the real world!!

So far... By the wonders of redundant operation or careful scheduling,
I've never seen the need to investigate updating kernels whilst live.
Nearest to that I've done is doing a rare reload on a kernel module.

In any case, does not Linux containers and systemd  make such
nefariousness moot?... ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg