[Nottingham] Dropbox

stripes stripes at roppa.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 11:35:37 UTC 2014

I am trying to help my partner who is half a world away install and
configure dropbox. She is behind a corporate firewall with badly
configured proxies.

She is using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS using gnome classic

Have so far talked her through this

Tried sudo aptitude install dropbox
Not available.

Tried wget but proxies won't let it connect.

Downloaded from the website and installed no problem

Dropbox is installed and running with a menu item in the internet tab.

>From the terminal dropbox status shows that it is up to date

Now the problem there is no dropbox indicator in the task bar.

Tried sudo aptitude install libappindicator1

but it is already installed and up to date.

Tried dropbox stop &&  dropbox start

No change

Tried logging out and restarting the box

No change.

Without this icon I can find no way to get to the dropbox preferences
to set the proxies and without that there is no way dropbox can ever
sync or even know that it is not synced.

My next suggestion is going to be connect via a USB dongle and not the
university network which should avoid the proxies and allow it to sync
just to prove that dropbox is working and that the problem really is
the indicator icon.

Any suggestions as to what I should try on our next chat session it
has me beat at present.

Stripes