[Nottingham] NHS care.data ('Anonymized' data really isn't - and here's why not)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 19:16:19 UTC 2014

On 28/01/14 10:00, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:47:28AM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:
>
>> The NHS data story was on BBC Breakfast this morning. The claim
>> was that insurers et al would not be permitted access, just
>> people wanting to do "big data" type research.
>>
>> Personally I'd love to know exactly what data about me would be
>> released and to whom. Not found any info yet.
>
> I found this page to be very useful:
>
> http://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/
>
> It has a form that you can download, fill in, print out and send
> to your GP.

Looks like the press and one MP at least are slowly catching up on the
NHS "care.data":

GP fears losing job over pledge to keep patient data private
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10618814/GP-fears-losing-job-over-pledge-to-keep-patient-data-private.html

GP hit with contract notice over plan to opt all patients out of care.data
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/it/gp-hit-with-contract-notice-over-plan-to-opt-all-patients-out-of-caredata/20005749.article

MP makes formal complaint to ICO over care.data patient records "grab"
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2327035/mp-makes-formal-complaint-to-ico-over-caredata-patient-records-grab

NHS must do more to prove that patient data is safe
http://blogs.channel4.com/victoria-macdonald-on-health-and-social-care/nhs-prove-patient-data-safe/1847

We now trust no one with our data – not even our doctors
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/31/nhs-medical-data-trust-doctors-edward-snowden

Somehow, this all reminds me of the various stories about Facebook...

Should your medical records not be yours?

- --
- -    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- - martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- - ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg