[Nottingham] apt-get

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Tue Feb 25 20:31:35 UTC 2014

* on the Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 06:01:20PM +0000, J Poyago-Theotoky wrote:

> Is there an easy way to get apt-get or aptitude to ignore missing
> dependencies?
>
> The problem I have is that skype claims to depend on
> libasound2-plugins:i386 however this cannot be installed on my system
> without removing about 300 other packages and skype when installed with
> force-all works just fine.
>
> The problem is I can't update the system as apt-get and aptitude both want
> to remove skype due to unfixable dependency problems.
>
> I have fixed it by editing /var/lib/dpkg/status
> and removed the dependency from skype but wonder if there was an easier way
> to solve this for future reference.

You probably just needed to add multi-arch by doing:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

There's a specific guide for Skype on Debian here:

https://wiki.debian.org/skype

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F