[Nottingham] Odd name resolution thing

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:42:29 UTC 2014

I have a router running DNSMasq and that's tied in with the DHCP. As far as
I can tell, this works ("ping", "dig" and "host" for "foo" and
"foo.bar.local" all work).

Some thing's don't, e.g. "ssh" and "wget" both fail with "Unable to resolve
host" for "foo.bar.local" ("foo" works fine).

I can fix that by changing "/etc/nsswitch.conf" from:
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] *dns* mdns4

to:
hosts:          files *dns* mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] mdns4

Before I go and replicate this change on other machines, is this sensible
to do? I don't expect people to actually use "foo.bar.local" but it'd be
nice if it worked. I'm just thrown why Canonical ship a config that seems
to bypass DNS and assume I must be missing something.

Cheers,

J.