[Nottingham] Apache configs

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 14:46:39 UTC 2014

Ah, yes; it lists which vhosts are available, but nothing I've found tells
me why a particular vhost was selected for a given request.

Say I have two vhosts defined (a default and one for "foo").
I *think* I have it all set up to use "foo" correctly, but for whatever
reason Apache uses default. Not what I expect.
Looking at the vhost file, I don't see anything obviously wrong.
It would be nice if Apache reported show it scored/selected the default
vhost; might give me a clue as to what I have wrong.

It turned out I'd basically tried to use the same server name in two
vhosts. Due to a misundertanding I couldn't see anything wrong.
Seeing *why* Apache picked one vhost over the other would have shown me
where I went wrong.
I solved my problem for now by throwing everything into the default vhost
(as I only intend to serve one domain).

In other systems I've used, if a server is going to choose between a
collection of configurations (e.g. vhosts) then it is possible to ask it to
show you how/why it made a selection.

I'm just getting to grips with Apache, so I might be misusing terms; adding
to confusion.