[Nottingham] Website (Thursday 16/01/2014: A Cross to Laguna)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 23:36:38 UTC 2014

On 13/01/14 22:47, David Aldred wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2014 18:36, "Martin" wrote:
> .
>>
>> I've now increased the contrast... To my eyes for this monitor at least,
>> the sidebar text now appears to leap out of the screen at you. Hope not
>> too dazzling!
>>

>> Next attempt could be to use different fonts but then we may aswel move
>> to using a different theme altogether...
>>

>> So good enough? Or too unreadable?
>
> Personally,  and having a certain professional Web interest,  I don't
> think the colour combination works.   Have you checked it against WCAG
> standards for accessibility?

But then... What nicely goes with dark green?

WCAG:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag

OK, that's somewhat hefty...

http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/

And that is still impossibly hefty!

So, simple answer is no. We have whatever it is the kind people who put
together the Wordpress theme Atahualpa 3.7.13 have done, with whatever
differentiating tweaks I've done/undone.

Suggestions for tweaks or other themes welcomed ;-)

> Also,  the site is not all that good on mobile.   It may be best to
> consider a switch to one of the WordPress responsive themes,  and sort
> out the contrast issues at the same time.

Atahualpa is very definitely not a mobile responsive theme. However, it
is kindly enough to render nicely on my old mobile. You do then need to
zoom and scroll around to view and navigate.

An alternate mobile-friendly theme can be tried... Is there anything
that would fit with the sort of thing we have at present? The main
headache is for holding onto the calendar...

And for critique/comment, I've added another links section:

Linux Publications/Magazines
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/links#Linux_Publications

Comments welcomed,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg