[Nottingham] Website (Thursday 16/01/2014: A Cross to Laguna)

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 09:22:57 UTC 2014

On 13 January 2014 23:36, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/01/14 22:47, David Aldred wrote:
> >
> > Personally,  and having a certain professional Web interest,  I don't
> > think the colour combination works.   Have you checked it against WCAG
> > standards for accessibility?
>
> But then... What nicely goes with dark green?
>
> WCAG:
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag
>
> OK, that's somewhat hefty...
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/
>
> And that is still impossibly hefty!

You can check colour contrast automatically using the WebAim
checker<http://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/>.
 (I've just done so and it doesn't like the blue on green, as I rather
suspected!)

> Atahualpa is very definitely not a mobile responsive theme. However, it
> is kindly enough to render nicely on my old mobile. You do then need to
> zoom and scroll around to view and navigate.
>
> An alternate mobile-friendly theme can be tried... Is there anything
> that would fit with the sort of thing we have at present? The main
> headache is for holding onto the calendar...

There's a fairly flexible Wordpress responsive theme called (logically
enough) Responsive <http://wordpress.org/themes/responsive>, which could be
a place to start!   I don't know what calendar control/plugin you're using,
though.

In fact, if you go to
http://wordpress.org/themes/search.php?q=responsive you'll
be presented with a whole list of themes containing the word 'responsive'
in their descriptions - there musty be something suitable there!