[Nottingham] LibreOffice cloud?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:15:02 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 11:41, Duncan wrote:
> The whole apache java software experience was really painful.  It was
> definitely something that needs a dedicated admin who has time to learn
> from the undocumentation and the quirks rather than an casual user like me.
HAH! That's exactly how I feel about many things in GNU/Linux! ☺ To be
honest I find the Tomcat docs pretty good, but then I've not been
looking to deploy public-facing instances and having to worry overly
much about security. Would be good to read up on.

> When the _released_ jar has a (v2) logging configuration file is
> incompatible with the (v3) logging library used and certain versions
> of that library throw unhelpful exceptions it is a pain.
The logging used by the container (i.e. Tomcat) shouldn't contaminate
the application.
Two applications deployed to the same container shouldn't contaminate
each other.
Pertinent word: "shouldn't"
Actual experience differs...EMC, I'm looking at you.

> Then when you then
> checkout the code for the released project and find it has compile problems
> which should have stopped the released jar being built let alone released in
> the first place you start to feel there is a chasm between you and the project.
Urf. Poor documentation always causes dependency problems "Install
'Foo'" is all you have in the docs and then you get things like
"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError"
because someone released a newer version built from a different JDK
version and now you have to play a thrilling game of "Guess which
version they want you to use".

The most unhelpful exception I find in Java is "FileNotFoundException".
Why? Because it doesn't say which blasted file it was looking for! Our
logs will tell me, but I just find it irritating. "Something went wrong,
and I'm not telling you where. Nyer, nyer, nyer!"

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║