[Nottingham] SSD upgrade

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Wed Jan 29 10:56:42 UTC 2014

Is this for a laptop or desktop?

If a desktop and you have space inside, you might consider keeping the hdd,
adding a smaller ssd, and using bcache.

If you are not aware of bcache it's a linux feature that uses your ssd to
cache the most frequently used data from your hdd.  You end up with a
filesystem as big as your hdd that works almost as fast as your sdd speed
on average.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

I'm looking to upgrade from a 500GB spinning rust unit to an SSD. Intel are
over £400 and as good as they are, I don't need to fuss about power loss as
this is in a laptop.

Kingston seems to trump Crucial for performance and capacity (I've not had
an issue with the Kingston RAM I've bought in the past). Any other SSD
makers? I'd need a 7mm unit.

And what about mSata? I could install a 120GB mSata drive, make it bootable
and use that as a main drive, keeping the 500GB HDD for the 60GB Windows
partition and stuff I don't need quickly (e.g. music or something). Other
than capacity, are there downsides to mSata?

Mentioning Windows, if I replace the HDD; does anyone know if the Windows
partition on there would boot when used as an external drive? Unfortunately
I need to keep Windows for firmware updates etc.

Cheers!

J.