[Nottingham] Post-netbook revival?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 12:08:57 UTC 2014

On 29/05/14 15:12, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 29/05/14 15:02, Martin wrote:
>> Can it be rooted for FLOSS Linux?! ;-)
> That specific one? Unsure. But one can get full-GNU/Linux to run on
> them. Sure I have an article in a mag somewhere.

Prompted by the Linux Laptop post...

As we discovered on the Beeston Blue Moon evening:

Linux Format LXF185 July 2014

p50 Linux on Chromebooks

Note that is not fully freedom free Linux...

It is actually a Google developers chroot to allow a Linux distro to
make use of the Chrome Linux kernel. You are still dependent on the
Google Chrome system to start you up.

The system is called Crouton:

Google groups:
https://plus.google.com/communities/109120069102230291151

How to install Ubuntu on a Chromebook using Crouton [VIDEO]
http://chromespot.com/2014/01/29/how-to-install-ubuntu-chromebook-crouton/

How to Install Ubuntu Linux on Your Chromebook with Crouton
http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

Am I being too pure to simply want the freedom to usefully use the
hardware unencumbered by the control of megaliths?...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg