[Nottingham] *nix most dangerous command line commands...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 16:32:55 UTC 2014

On 13/06/14 17:05, RICHARD SMEDLEY wrote:
>> Many moons ago, I was on a customer site logged in
>> as root and mistyped the cd location I wanted to go
>> to, then not realising I was still in the / directory, I
>> then typed
>
>> rm -r *
>
>> End of operating system......
>

> The classic tale of recovering from this comes from Manchester:
> http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/hack/recovery.html

Fantastic!

Scarily, I know all those people...

You certainly couldn't do that with some systems! (For the damage or for
the live recovery...)

Thanks for that,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg