[Nottingham] *nix most dangerous command line commands...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 09:11:59 UTC 2014

On 16/06/14 08:55, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 13/06/14 17:05, RICHARD SMEDLEY wrote:
>> The classic tale of recovering from this comes from Manchester:
>> http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/hack/recovery.html
> That was a good read. I take from it two lessons:
> 1. Don't do silly things in silly places;
> 2. Do silly things in silly places under control conditions so one can
> test recovery.

Or rather: Avoid often-repeated workarounds that can go awry...

I'm pretty sure that will have been a side effect of the common problem
of computer equipment being overstretched to beyond what is smooth
running... Including the usual pitfall of too many users and too little
disk space...

I'm sure you can guess the rest. Especially so for harassed IT being
hustled to act (dangerously) in haste...

Regardless, that was a spectacular recovery!

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg