[Nottingham] A quiet compact PC?

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 21:44:36 UTC 2014

On 09/03/14 12:49, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Any recommendations/experience of any x86_64 hardware based 'quiet' PCs
> that are in a small box suitable for bolting onto the back of a monitor
> or that can be used as a monitor plinth?
>
> This is to install Linux ofcourse. And it is to be something a little
> more powerful/responsive than such as a RasPi.
>
> My first thoughts are something along the lines of the AMD "APU" CPUs.
> Could look at the latest Intel dual-core Atoms.
>
> ARM SoCs are still a little too fringe for non-computer-literate use ;-)
>
> And all to be in a nice small box...
>

> And the various all-in-one style PCs all look to be rather clunky and in
> any case are unnecessarily knobbled by a restrictive OS pre-installed...
>

> Any suggestions/experience/ideas?

Hi Martin,

You've been here long enough ;) you know the drill. The more you tell
us the better the help we are able to give.
	What usage are you expecting (office apps, HD streaming, running a mame cabinet ...) ?
	How hostile is the environment (kids with coke, OAPs with gin ...) ?
	Are they existing monitors (needs specific video connectors) ?
	CD-ROM/DVD/Audio ?
	What kind of disk space (local HDD/SDD only or netwroked disks too) ?

Below[1,2,3] are some of the X86_64 small box providers I've got on my
list.  x86_64 small boxes seem to carry a premium compared to
ARM small boxes.  Remember, the older generations of atom processors
are x86_32 only.

Someone else mentioned the Intel Next Unit of Computing[3,4].
There is an older generation using Sandy Bridge (i[357]-3???)
and recent update to the spec using Haswells (i[357]-4???).

Main memory sharing graphics chipsets are better than they used to be but are
still a poor mans choice compared to dedicated cards (the memory contention
for desktop graphics can be noticeable even on a lightly loaded system).

The only one I've seen in action is a silent tinygreenpc acting as a media server.

[1] http://www.tinygreenpc.com/
[2] http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104
[3] http://www.mini-itx.com/store/
[4] http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html