[Nottingham] On Virgin Media?

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 21:35:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess the idea of forcing the user to set some new password on first
> use is the better one.

More like lesser of two evils.

I generally print a sticker with the password I generated and attach it to
the device. If someone gets into my house, the password is the least of my
worries (items I travel with are a little different due to Evil Maid and
similar scenarios, but I digress).

However, for some reason, I forgot to do this for my WiFi/Router box when I
moved into my new place. So now I don't remember the password I set it to.
I've been putting off some network changes I really want to make because in
order to implement them, I'll have to factory reset the WiFi/Router and
then reconfigure it. Then deal with the breakage from something else that I
forgot to document properly (there's always something) and this is more
hassle than I want to put up with simply to make a Raspberry Pi into my
DNS/DHCP server.

Whenever I come across a "change password on first use" feature, I'm almost
always more interested in playing with a new toy than I am with the admin
work of properly documenting it. Only once I've broken it, do I then
document it when I repair it. My own fault, but somewhat human nature.

-Michael