[Nottingham] Docker/Containers [was: Raspberry PI]

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Thu Mar 20 10:15:22 UTC 2014

* on the Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 05:46:22PM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:

>> Re virtualization on Linux, I'm currently looking into moving some of
>> my services out of VMs and into much more lightweight LXC based
>> containers using something called Docker:
> I'd like to give docker a look-see at some point. But I've got enough
> hassle wrestling with email/Apache and dodgy network configs to add yet
> more on to my plate.

It's actually a pretty simple system. You could probably learn 95% of it
in a single evening. Dump one of your existing services into a Docker
container, and then stick it on your CV ;)

> One thing I am not clear on with docker/containers. I know I can start
> (say) Apache in a container; can I then start MariaDB in the same
> container? I ask because every example I have seen thus far has each
> application in a separate container.

You can run multiple processes in the same container at the same time
if you want, yes. You just need to make sure that the last process you
start doesn't background it's self, because as soon as it returns,
the container stops. There isn't usually any particular reason to
run more than one service in a container, but it can certainly be
done.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F