[Nottingham] Issues with DNS and OpenVPN

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:13:54 UTC 2014

On 16 Novemb

> Where do you want your DNS to come from?...

For connected VPN clients, my DNS. That way they get access to resources by
name and I don't go hoarse explaining IP addresses.

If you have your own DNS that you maintain yourself, then fine, you know
> all about that.

I do, and it isn't responding for some reason.

> Is dd-wrt being default sensible and assumes your new VPN is to act just
> "as a VPN should and connect" with you as a client subjugated to the
> full control of the far end?...

There's some caveats around the behaviours of the client OSs, but this is
pretty much the case. I can see the Android client switching to use the DNS
the VPN is pushing; so that bit works.

So... What gateway address and what DNS address does your confused
> machine pick up?...

That's one of the odd things, the mobile phone seems stuck on
10.46.some.thing, which isn't what I would have expected

> And a good check is to enable logging of anything and everything that
> gets dropped or rejected on the firewall.

I have, but logging on DD-WRT is, err, eccentric. I have firewall logs, but
dnsmasq is quiet. If I saw "blah de blah DROPPED port 53", I'd know where I
was.

A final check is to print out and read through:
> route
> iptables -L -v

Ta, I'll give that a thump and see if there's anything obvious.

The inability to do name resolution seems to be a *very* common issue, so
why the don't put how to do it inot their docs is beyond me. They seem to
have everything else documented!

Cheers,

J.