[Nottingham] Silly big attachments in ownCloud *Calendars*

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 22:48:39 UTC 2014

Err...is this people adding large(ish) documents and other things to their
appointments within a certain "email + kitchen sink" client?

This actually sounds a bit more like an ownCloud/SabreDAV issue. My first
port of call would be their forums, they're pretty active.

Only thing I could find was a draft CalDAV attachment proposal to the IETF
from Oracle (expires Nov 2012 though). It looks like the client is supposed
to POST attachments up to the server and then get back a URL where they can
be found. I only just quickly skimmed a few paras but it seems sensible
enough and keeps things out of the db that shouldn’t be there.
https://duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=http%3A%2F%2Ftools.ietf.org%2Fid%2Fdraft-daboo-caldav-attachments-01.html

Of course there's no guarantee that your client will follow any actual
standards.

And should the creation fail, I would be inclined to think that it would
trash the living heck out of the server re-trying *OR* simply crash.
Whichever is more inconvenient.

There is the final question...what kind of idiot puts large files into
email/appointment anyway?  Upload to "teh clowdz" and send the link
instead. Much easier.

J.