[Nottingham] Silly big attachments in ownCloud *Calendars*

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Thu Nov 27 09:17:45 UTC 2014

* on the Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:07:06PM +0000, Jason Irwin wrote:

>> Unless something clever could be done such as subverting the attachments
>> to instead become https links... :-)
>>
> Is that something that could be applied to emails also...? ;-)
>>
> Yes, that could work. A plug-in could upload to an "attachments" area and
> then swap the actual attachment for a link.

> This seems like such an obvious problem that someone must have done it
> already.

Thunderbird does something like this. When sending mail, it can be configured
to upload attachments to one of various "FileLink" providers and replace the
attachment in the email with a link:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/filelink-large-attachments

I've not used this myself, I just remember it being announced a while back
after I'd stopped using Thunderbird.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F